[Sderby] Server monitoring

Jak jak at techhell.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 19:37:33 BST 2004

Mike Hemstock wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any good server monitoring tools.  Preferably to monitor
> both the server as a whole and the individualdaemons.  I'd also like some
> kind of response to.  Eg server dies someone gets a text, daemon dies, it
> gets logged and restarted.
>
> Mike.

Hi Mike/All

Quick comment from the absentee lurker:

At the ISP, we use Nagios (was NetSaint) and Whatsup gold. The network
ops guy is not particularly penguin oriented, so tends to prefer
WhatsUp... You can guess my preference. Whatsup is very good at
discovering services/daemons etc, but I prefer Nagios for sheer control.

Nagios is very nice insofar as you can get it to carry out just about
any action you like - we've got pager and a nokia rigged up for sms, and
the list of plugins is getting pretty impressive - to carry out actions
on the server/box in question.

As always with a *nix app, you can pipe to any other app you care to
mention for anything else.

Nagios has been very reliable, but can be a bit of a swine to get the
dependancies sorted on a large-ish setup - ie you don't want an alert
for every device behind a router!

The monioring summary is clear and informative, and is web based - not
yet found a browser it doesn't like, which is a big bonus over some of
the activex nastiness I've seen.

Cheers all, hope this helps.

Jak