[Sderby] Networking in Linux

Andre Hefer andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 18:12:49 BST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 16:44, Dave Coulson wrote:
> Hi chaps
> Some advice needed please!
> I have my computer on a local network to my wife's machine, running
> through a Netgear DG814 Router and two ethernet cards. I also have a
> second hard disk on my machine from which I run Linux, booted from a
> floppy. I wish to be able to see my wife's machine from Linux but am not
> sure how to set things up.

Dave

I run Samba from a linux box, so have some experience of this. SAMBA is a file
and print server that runs under linux and emulates the SMB (Short Message
Block)  which is the protocol Microsoft used up to Windows NT. Later versions
of Windows also support it for backward compatibility.

When you have Samba running your wife will be able to "see" any directories to
which she has been given access. The best thing is to do map a Samba
directory as say the G:\ drive on her machine.

Basic Samba Administration can be done via YAST but its a lot better using
SWAT (Samba Webmin Administration Tool) via Webmin.

I have not used the facilities included under SuSE 9.1 to map Windows drives
from Konqueror because I would rather have my files on something secure and
stable i.e not M$.

Hope that helps.

Andre