[Sderby] BIND

Andre Hefer andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 21:23:00 BST 2004

On Sunday 26 September 2004 19:27, Ashley Heath wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:49:23 +0100
>
> Mike Hemstock <hemstock at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm trying to setup DNS, but I'm finding it a bit of a BIND.  I have the
> > server managing a domain and that works fine and I have another server
> > managing a subdomain of the aforementioned domain and that also works
> > fine. When both servers need to consult the root servers, this again
> > works fine. However, what I cannot work out how to do is get the
> > domain.com server to consult the sub.domain.com server when it needs to
> > resolve names of the subdomain.  How should I configure BIND to know
> > about the existence of the other server?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mike.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong (its been a while), but as I understand it a
> single DNS master server is authorative for the whole domain, not just part
> of it. I think you will need to set up one of the servers as master for the
> domain and subdomain. Then add a secondary as backup if the master is
> offline (optional but recommended).
>
> Ash

I think Ash is absolutely correct. The are four types of servers (1) Master -
authoritative over the 	whole domain (2) Slave - keeps a copy of the master
info (for added performance or as a backup) (3) Stub - similar to a Slave but
only replicates NS records and (4) Forward - directs all queries to another
server in the zone.

I am not sure what Mike has set up but DNS does not recognise the concept of a
sub-domain.

Andre