[Sderby] Hardware help.

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Thu Sep 30 16:22:00 BST 2004

Richard Taylor said:
> I'm new to the list, having been subscribed for about a week, and not
> having been to any meetings yet.
>
> That said, I was hoping that someone might want to offer me  some help.
> In the next couple of weeks, I plan on building myself a new machine
> which is going to be a linux-only system, not dual-boot like most of my
>    previous boxes have been. It's been ages since I last did any system
> building, and I was wondering if there's anyone in the LUG that would
> consider offering me their assistance in putting all of the various bits
> together?
>
> In addition to that, I'd also like advice from all of you on linux
> compatibility issues. I'm probably going with an Athlon-64 processor. Is
> there anyone on the list using Gentoo with the Athlon-64 archictecture?
> What about motherboards? Which chipsets are you using (if you have the
> Athlon-64) and how well supported is it? Lastly, what about SATA HDDs?
> Do they work under Linux?
>
> I don't want to spend my money on any components that won't work to
> their full potential with Linux, so if anyone has any testimonials, or
> horror stories, I'd love to hear them.

I've been running SuSE 9.1 (X86_64) on Athlon 64 for a couple of months
and I'm highly delighted. My only problem is that the Cisco 3000 VPN
client doesn't work with 64bit Linux, and that's no big deal for me it
would just be nice to have.

I have an Abit KV8Max3 board it's VIA based with 3COM Gigabit onboard,
everything worked straight out of the box, highly recommended.

David

--
David Bottrill

david at bottrill.org