[Sderby] SuSE 9.2 IPv6 problem?

Kris Adcock krisa at eurocom.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 16:31:13 GMT 2005

Evening all!

I'm asking about this on behalf of a friend - this is a paraphrase of
his message (names changed to protect the innocent, and all that). He
has an Athlon 64 running SuSE 9.2.

---------8<----------

Matt spent some time here last evening configuring this box so that I
could use the 250GB HDD as a backup receptacle for the data from the
Athlon 64.

All is well except the following: Matt set up the networking to obtain
an IP address using DHCP [from the ADSL router] and all wasn’t well as
the Linux box set an IP address which seemed to be in HEX.

The next approach was to set up a static IP address this worked when it
was set, however after a reboot the address reverted to HEX.

Listed below is a printout of part of the ifconfig file:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:E8:8E:68:92
           inet6 addr: fe80::200:e8ff:fe8e:6892/64 Scope:Link
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:262 (262.0 b)  TX bytes:460 (460.0 b)
           Interrupt:11

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
           NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

---------8<----------

Now, as far as I can tell from the above (I haven't seen it personally),
the network is being configured for IPv6 only  - there's no line in eth0
describing the ordinary inet addr. Him saying it's in HEX is because
he's confusing the inet6 address with the ordinary inet one.

Ditto the loopback adaptor - there's no inet line.

sit0 is apparently some form of tunnel for using IPv6.

So, has anyone seen this before? Or have a clue which part to start
swearing at first? :)

All the best,

Kris.