[Sderby] SuSE 9.2 IPv6 problem?

Kris Adcock kris at danceswithferrets.org
Wed Feb 9 21:03:59 GMT 2005

David Bottrill wrote:

   [snip]

> This looks like a case of the box not negotiating an IP address by DHCP. Has
> another computer been tested against the router?

Well, he says that he set it back to static IP afterwards. So unless
something in the SuSE boot process is trying to put it back to DHCP again?

> Here's my eth0
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:8D:F7:14:C1
>           inet addr:192.168.1.10  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:fef7:14c1/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:16543 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:10105 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:6998654 (6.6 Mb)  TX bytes:1255769 (1.1 Mb)
>           Interrupt:193 Memory:e3004000-0
>

> My guess is you "friend" has a motherboard with an poorly supported Gigabit

Hee hee - I like the quotes! Are you suggesting that my friend is
imaginary? This isn't a medical mailing list, and I aint claiming that I
have a "friend" with an embarrassing ailment ... :)

> NIC. I know of people having problems with certain onboard NICs. My Athlon 64
> has a 3COM Gigabit interface and this works fine with SuSE 9.2. I know
> someone who has a Gigabyte motherboard, I think it has a VIA Ethernet chip
> and this has all sorts of intermittent problems with Linux. There have been
> messages to the SuSE mailing list about this in the past, the problem is I
> believe VIA have not released technical details of the chip to the OpenSource
> community and what has been done so far is just a stab in the dark. I believe
> there are binary drivers on the VIA site and I don't think these behave much
> better. As an interim solution I suggest you stick a supported PCI NIC in
> and hope that before long VIA do the right thing and release some workable
> source code.

Well, from what I understand it worked up until now, but as I didn't see
what Matt did (who I consider to be an extremely knowledgeable chap on
Linux and hardware issues) I've no idea what else happened (other than
partitioning and mounting of an extra drive). But the suggestion of
putting a bog-standard PCI card in and disabling the onboard one is a
good 'un. I'll forward your suggestion on.

> David

Cheers!

Kris.

--