[Sderby] SuSE 9.2 IPv6 problem?

Kris Adcock krisa at eurocom.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 18:54:44 GMT 2005

Kris Adcock wrote:

> Evening all!
>
> I'm asking about this on behalf of a friend - this is a paraphrase of
> his message (names changed to protect the innocent, and all that). He
> has an Athlon 64 running SuSE 9.2.
>
> ---------8<----------
>
> Matt spent some time here last evening configuring this box so that I
> could use the 250GB HDD as a backup receptacle for the data from the
> Athlon 64.
>
> All is well except the following: Matt set up the networking to obtain
> an IP address using DHCP [from the ADSL router] and all wasn’t well as
> the Linux box set an IP address which seemed to be in HEX.
>
> The next approach was to set up a static IP address this worked when it
> was set, however after a reboot the address reverted to HEX.
>
> Listed below is a printout of part of the ifconfig file:
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:E8:8E:68:92
>           inet6 addr: fe80::200:e8ff:fe8e:6892/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:262 (262.0 b)  TX bytes:460 (460.0 b)
>           Interrupt:11
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
> sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
>           NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
> ---------8<----------
>
> Now, as far as I can tell from the above (I haven't seen it personally),
> the network is being configured for IPv6 only  - there's no line in eth0
> describing the ordinary inet addr. Him saying it's in HEX is because
> he's confusing the inet6 address with the ordinary inet one.
>
> Ditto the loopback adaptor - there's no inet line.
>
> sit0 is apparently some form of tunnel for using IPv6.
>
> So, has anyone seen this before? Or have a clue which part to start
> swearing at first? :)

Morning all - thanks for your replies so far!

I now have the offending computer in my possession.

During bootup, it initialises the network stuff fine and gives the
network card the correct static IP address. But when I login it decides
to restart the network stuff!

I've unconfigured and then removed the network card, and it still does
the same thing (but only to the loopback adaptor, obviously). So it
seems to be a configuration thing rather than a hardware clash.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

I reckon a reformat and reinstall would sort it, but that defeats the
challenge ... and the solution of "just reformat and reinstall" should
be the mantra of lowly Windows users, not enlightened Linux bods! :)

Cheers,

Kris.