[Sderby] Broadband

Ashley Heath ashley.heath at bigfoot.com
Sun Apr 9 15:42:16 BST 2006

Gavin Reade wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  I joined this list a couple of months ago and have been lurking since.
>
>  I've just a simple question, Is there a recommended ISP for a
>  broadband connection (i.e. Linux friendly) and if so which one is it?
>
>  Thanks for your time,
>
>  greadey

> Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby
> --

Personal choice really, choose an ISP that you feel comfortable with,
many mainstream ISP's offer little or no support for linux, that doesn't
mean you can't use linux just don't expect help with Linux from their
helpdesks. If you want a linux ISP the only ones that I know of from the
top of my head are your current provider http://www.uklinux.net/ and
http://www.ukfsn.org/

Buy your own hardware, preferably a router, it makes life a lot easier
and you can use it with any OS and allows multiple PCs to share your
internet connection. If you decide to use a ADSL modem, make sure that
linux drivers are available for your preffered Linux distro before you
buy it.

Personally I use PlusNet and have no issues with the service.

Regards