[Sderby] Derby Knitting Circle [was Re: Sad MCPs in Free Software circles]

Steve Tickle steve.tickle at clara.co.uk
Sat Dec 9 10:03:45 GMT 2006

On Saturday, December 09, 2006 08:27:38, Richard Smedley
<smedley358 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> It's just as I watch my daughters grow up with a slow and steady drip,
> drip, drip of comments about how inappropriate it is to have an
> interest in anything scientific, or IT, it means I get incredibly
> annoyed by such comments.
>
> Yes Steve, I realise you *meant* your comments as a joke - my point
> is that the cumulative effect of such comments on lists and
> elsewhere is that many women just don't bother with Free Software.
> And thus we all lose.

I take your point but ultimately, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I also have two daughers, the youngest is still only 13 but they're both
very comfortable with IT although their abilities and interests
(including career interests) lie in the sporting field.
Maybe since all my immediate family (including cats) are all female, it
comes naturally to me to treat them all as "normal people".

Personally, I'm not the slightest bit sexist and I know several women
who I'm quite happy to admit are far more talented and able than I am.
We're all individuals and whatever genitalia we happen to be born with,
we all have our own many and varied talents, which I believe are
embellished if we possess a sense of humour and the ability to laugh at
ourselves from time to time. Long may that continue.
--
Steve