[Sderby] Spam Assassin

Harry Sheppard lists at disgruntledgoat.com
Wed May 31 23:52:39 BST 2006

Hello,

> Can anyone suggest any alternatives to spamassassin?  It's a nice piece of
> kit, but being based on PERL it's really slow.  I'm using spamd and it's
> still slow.  Any ideas how to speed it up or any alternatives that are any
> good?

We use spamassassin with qmail at three separate sites, one of them
being in a datacentre in the states that regularly handles upwards of
35,000 messages a day without any undue slowdown...

According to our reporting metrics, individual message scan times can
approach 20-ish seconds at times, but this is almost exclusively down to
RBL lookups rather than execution speed. Median scan time is
approximately 6 seconds.

Add to that separate threads being launched for each message and its
latency doesn't really cause issues overall, with the system scaling
well and linearly.

Hope that helps,
--Harry