[Sderby] UK Ubuntu Team

R Verma rv3000 at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 12 13:05:06 GMT 2006

Tim

I am an absolute beginner and need guidance in very simple terms to set-up
Linux on a dedicated machine. The well intentioned guys have given me hints
from time to time but they talk in acronyms and assume a level of knowledge
that I just do not possess (as yet). Further they don't seem to understand
this, perhaps they find me too much of a beginner and hence not worth
bothering with.

All I want to do is set up a version of Linux on a dedicated machine and
start playing with it and go through the usual learning curve and get
somewhat Linux literate (or at least as far as I am able).

After trying several downloaded versions of Linux, none of which I managed
to install on my stand alone machine satisfactorily, I eventually got a
complete copy of Ubuntu as a freebee with one of the computer magazines. I
have for the first time ever managed to install it successfully. My problem
is that I am using a 20 inch Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510 monitor and I get
a lot of flicker. With my XP I get a rock solid image with no flicker. How
do I improve the image on my screen when using Ubantu? In Windows I can
change the refresh rate etc. but the flicker in Ubantu is so annoying that I
have not played with it at all.

Any suggestions?

Ranjit Verma
Derby