[Sderby] UK Ubuntu Team

Steve Tickle steve.tickle at clara.co.uk
Sun Nov 12 17:30:06 GMT 2006

On Sunday, November 12, 2006 15:30:22, Tim Retout <tim at retout.co.uk> wrote:

> Right, I remember this from 14th August. You have an NVidia GeForce FX
> 5200.
>
> There are a couple of things that might be going wrong:
>

> * If you are seeing flicker only when moving windows about, or when
> using graphics-intensive applications, you may be using the default
> 'nv' driver for your graphics card, which does not have 3D hardware
> acceleration.
>
> In other words, most of your graphics card is not being used, and your
> computer's main processor has to do all the work - it is struggling to
> keep up, so you see flicker. Here are some instructions for changing
> to the binary-only NVidia drivers, which do not come with source code,
> but may make your graphics card run better:

I also have an NVidia GeForce FX5200 in my Ubuntu system although I
don't have an Iiyama monitor. Everything worked fine from the initial
install but I've since installed Automatix2 and installed the NVidia
drivers which were on offer. This seems to have improved things even more.

If you have the hardware to set up a "victim" system which you can use
for learning about Linux without having to worry whether you're losing
precious data if you screw things up I'd definitely recommend it.
--
Steve