[Sderby] Talk talk

Roger Whiteley rogerw at csits.net
Tue Nov 28 13:40:57 GMT 2006

A contact of mine has been having problems with VPN and the free Broadband
service from Talk Talk and I thought you may be interested....

************ start quote  *****************
TalkTalk have confirmed that they are creating rules on their network to
include TCP Port 10000 & UDP Port 500 which are used for our VPN access to
be treated as P2P traffic so therefore restricted. This is an ongoing
process so if you’ve not got the problem already as a TalkTalk customer
then you may soon have.

Symptoms of the problems

Outlook sending and receiving endlessly with no emails, then emails
arriving late at night from earlier in the day, (throttling rules are
subject to daytime hours)
Café Vik & Intranet extremely slow or timing out.
Internet without Fujitsu proxy going directly through your own broadband
remains ok speedwise.

I have managed to extract my broadband from TalkTalk and keep my existing
Phone Package 3 intact (without incurring charges), this has been achieved
for the following reasons.

Broadband is free so therefore not a contractual condition
They are changing terms of the connection which you may deem unacceptable

I today have successfully been given my MAC number to move my broadband
without any issue, I have subscribed to Plusnet on the recommendation of
several people who enjoy the service.
(http://www.plus.net/switch/?home=switch )

I have managed to extract today probably by getting a little heavier with
pressure on them through an official OFCOM complaint and raising the issue
through TalkTalks high level complaint procedure. If anyone needs to do
the same then here are the numbers.

OFCOM (First port of call) – 020 7981 3043

TalkTalk High Level Complaints – 0800 049 5743

Conclusions

If you are thinking of going to TalkTalk then don’t take the Free Broadband.

If you’re with TalkTalk and get the symptoms above then use the above
process to move ISP.

Roger.