[Sderby] Desktops

Tim Retout tim at retout.co.uk
Sun Oct 15 18:20:41 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 17:13 +0100, Steve Tickle wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I'll certainly give them both a go. However,
> I've found that X11's still no better at autoconfiguring itself for the
> right monitor/video card combination. I have a Geforce FX5200 with 128MB
> RAM and flat panel monitor that will do 1024x768 at 75Hz but I can't get
> better than 800x600 at the moment. :-(
>
> When I think of the hours I've wasted doing battle with xf86config.....
> <shudder>

Yeah. Have you tried ``dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg''? If it doesn't
ask you to choose the resolutions first time through, then run
``dpkg-reconfigure debconf'', choose to see questions of medium priority
and higher, and try the first command again.

Failing that, it's not that tricky to just edit the xorg.conf.

--
Tim Retout <tim at retout.co.uk>