[Sderby] Keysigning

J D Freeman sderby at quixotic.org.uk
Thu Apr 26 01:15:32 BST 2007

Right, for those of you who want to get keys signed, and the like this
weekend, you will need to turn up to the pub with the following:

- - key fingerprint
- - Passport
- - Photo Driving license

Any two forms of GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID are acceptable, but passport and
Photo Driving license are the most common.

To get the gpg fingerprint from gpg you can do the following:

gpg --fingerprint --list-keys <name>

where you replace <name> with your name, so I would do:

freemadi at pooh:~$ gpg --fingerprint --list-keys julia
pub  1024D/82E49862 2004-12-07 Julia D Freeman
<J.D.Freeman at quixotic.org.uk>
Key fingerprint = 14CE D75F BDF9 1E35 32C1  5D3B E363 3494 82E4
9862
uid                            Julia D Freeman <gpg at slut.org.uk>
uid                            Julia D Freeman <virgin at slut.org.uk>
uid                            Julia D Freeman <gpg at quixotic.org.uk>
uid                            Julia D Freeman <j.d.freeman at skylis.net>
uid                            Julia D Freeman <Julia at contextshift.co.uk>
uid                            Julia D Freeman <Julia at contextshift.eu>
sub  4096g/D17B0195 2004-12-07

What you then need to do is one of:

1) email the fingerprint to Mike (mike  a t csits dot net)

or

2) print out several copies on a page, and cut each one out, so you have
a wodge of small bits of paper with the above on it.

If you are emailing it to Mike, you need to do so no later than 0500 BST
Friday 27th April 2007.

This done, your next task is simple. Turn up to the pub on friday, with
the 2 id and your wodge of fingerprint printouts if you do it that way.

http://cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html

Describes what a keysigning party is and how its done. We will be
following something along the lines of an informal setup.

If having read all this you are either going:

"Wtf is gpg?"

"ooh, this is good, but I don't have a gpg key, how do I get one?"

Then you should consider looking at:

http://www.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto.html

If you are left wondering "what the hell is the point behind encrypting
your email?" then I suggest you come along on friday, buy either Mike or
myself a pint, and we can happily explain why encryption is a) a good
thing and b) essential.

Hopefully see you all friday.