[Sderby] BBC iplayer pertition

J D Freeman sderby at quixotic.org.uk
Tue Jul 3 18:30:55 BST 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:14:25PM +0100, Adam Armstrong wrote:
> Bollocks. That's like saying BBC programs will only be viewable on Sony
> PCs. It's more akin to saying that content won't be available via
> analogue terrestrial signals, or sky.

Eh? Now try that again in a way that makes sense.

> What about people with NTSC equipment? Should they be supported too?

You will find that PAL is a standard within the UK for the encoding of
TV signals, as such it is reasonable to accept that the BBC and all uk
tv broadcasters to broadcast in PAL.

> *shrug*

Ah yes, valid arguement, therefore *shrug*. Well done.

> >Point 3: The BBC has a charter from Her Majesties government to provide
> >information services to the the British people. As such, they are
> >required by law to make their programming as accessable as possible.
> >Which is why you will find they have programming for the deaf, etc...
> >
> Find me the part where it says they have to let everyone have intertubes
> access to everything, from any client they like.

The bit where it says they have a duty of care to provide services to
the british people, not just a small subset of a small subset.
Especially when as previously stated there is no technical reason not to
do so.

> Where on earth are you buying your XP licenses?

Last time was from Greymatter I think, they are one of the approved
resellers in the UK. When you get away from OEM licensing, it gets very
expensive.

> I think you're being a moron by using the word 'discriminate'.

I think the fact that you are unable to post to this thread without
being rube, obnoxious and insulting question if you are a fully vertical
homo sapien, or if you are infact just some rotund person of
questionable parentage who gets a kick out of baiting a group of geeks.

Might I suggest you come back to your computer when you have evolved
abit further?

> The BBC are merely making slightly less than optimal decisions.
> Discrimination is an altogether different situation.

Prey tell, what do you feel to be the definition of descrimination?