[Sderby] Various things

Andy (Beta) ayteebee at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 00:05:44 GMT 2007

Heya guys, are you all still alive?  Don't seem to have heard much
from you all lately.  Thought I'd break the silence with an idea I
had...  Oh hang on, two ideas...!

Firstly, I thought it would be cool to have a Linux projector.  We
were having a presentation in our Church the other day and half way
through, "Oh, my computer's decided to overload and shut itself down,
hang on while I start it up again..."  (No guesses as to which OS that
was!).  That got me thinking - why don't we just run the presentation
directly from the projector?  There would be no unnecessary background
processes, the components and setup and everything could be perfectly
tailored to running presentations and videos and all that.  Just stick
in the CD or plug in the memory stick and click "play presentation".
Simple.

However I don't have the money to buy a projector.  Anybody fancy
playing around with this?

The second thing is a bit of a hacker's thing really and doesn't have
much point to it apart from the fact that it would be cool.  At work
we have these microwaves, and when they've finished cooking, the word
"End" blinks on the digital display.  With a little creative
soldering, I reckon it would be possible to make it display a
different word.  Something like "EAt", "FOOd", or even "LOVE" should
be possible...  It should be possible to get a smiley out of it I
reckon; like "|-]", except obviously on a digital display the bar
would be broken in the middle, making it look more like eyes.

Any hackers out there who want to give this a try?

Then there are a couple of technical things for which I was too lazy
to create another email:

1) How do I sign up to the projects mailing list?  The email address
for majordomo given on the page
http://www.sderby.lug.org.uk/projects/projects.html doesn't seem to
work (even after changing .ork.uk into .org.uk).

2) On the page http://www.sderby.lug.org.uk/mail/mail.html there is
reference to the Leicester LUG's jargon file.  The link points to a
.php3 file, but Firefox 1.5.0.9 doesn't seem to like that and displays
it as plain text (and it's a redirect anyway).  Changing the extension
to .php makes it all fine and rosy.

That's all for now.  Teach y'all to be too quiet for too long!

Andy.