[Sderby] Hi everyone

Laurence Barlow laurencebarlow at bulldoghome.com
Wed Oct 17 22:09:47 BST 2007

>>> Web site: http://sderby.lug.org.uk/
>>> wiki: http://www.sderby.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
>>> Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby
>> Do you not think it would be more productive to explain why not to top
>> post and why to trim the replies rather than just passing comments like
>> the above?
>>
>> Personally I'm very new to mailing lists, and as such just treat them
>> like normal emails, within my emails I always top post because I'm
>> following the conversation and it saves scrolling.
>>
>> Only today when I spoke to a friend of mine who is also a member of this
>> mailing list and many others the reasons why not to top post and to trim
>> my replies that I now understand the reasons behind it.
>>
>> The state of this mailing just keeps going down hill, you can't post an
>> opinion without someone getting on there high horse, turning a perfectly
>> good thread into a flame war. It happened only a few months ago, within
>> the "BBC iplayer petition" thread, at that point I lost most my intreast
>> in this group. However with new members I'd like to see this group
>> become more active.
>>
>> I will openly apologise for upsetting people dramatically by top posting
>> and not trimming replies, however you could have at least explained why,
>> or even posted a "mailing list of idiots" link.
>>
>> However this probably isn't the best thread to post such things.
>>
>> Laurence

>> Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby
>>

> I dont like top-posters. I am aware of the regulations on mailing lists :)
> Many a conversation has passed.

> Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby
I'm sure you are, however most people read the sderby LUG site for any
relevant info and there isn't any (if there is it's not immediately
apparent) maybe who ever is in charge of maintaining the site could put
a quick "please read before your first post" link up?

I know I found the LUG via google and word of mouth. Didn't even know
what a LUG was before signing up here but I'd been using Linux for years
before that, you can't complain at people for not following rules and
etiquette if there is nothing explaining it.

How about just simply posting a link to a relevant section rather than
having to repeat your self?

"Please read this webpage before post" rather than "stupid top posters,
trim trim trim etc." thats all I'm getting at.

Not everyone has had the experience of most the users on this mailing
list, before alienating try to advise.

Laurence