[Sderby] Assistance request

Hans Kreuger CptHansKreuger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:40:17 GMT 2008

The description seems suggestive of a local routing or DNS issue to me...

So just to rule them out, are you able to do the following from suse;

A: ping 212.58.251.206
B: ping www.bbc.net.uk

if A succeeds and B fails then DNS is your issue.
if both fail then either local routing (there's no default gateway
configured) or there's no connection to the intarwebs ( see previous
posts).

to rule out a local routing issue you can run the following (as root);

tracert 212.58.251.206

If you see your routers IP in the results then local routing is
working just fine.

I'd going to hazard a guess that suse isn't using DHCP for
configuration so isn't picking up a default gateway or DNS server.
These should both be configured to point at the router for an average
home network.

- Hans