[Sderby] RE: Linux Testing Day

Adrian Wood aawood at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 12:59:08 BST 2008

Hey there,

Long time lurker, VERY irregular reader/poster.

I do have an old box lying around I could donate; it's just taking up
space in my cupboard, I'm not even sure what the specs are, but I
think all it's really needs is a hard drive to get going. Not fast,
but perhaps an example of how Linux can make use of older hardware?
(On that note, I have an ANCIENT floppy-only laptop that I've got a
cut-down slackware variant on, which I'm happy to bring along, not
sure how much use that would be though.) I've also got a spare 4-port
router lying about, if that's any help?

I also have an EeePC with the original OS on (mildly customized, of
course), and an Archos 605 which uses Linux, not sure embedded systems
is where we're going with this but I'm happy to bring it along.

Finally, an idea for something to do; Get a few of the boxes together,
stick OpenArena on them, and set up an impromptu gaming corner. Even
my Eee handles that pretty smoothly so I daresay some of the stuff
we'd have would suit it well, and it'd get a bit of interest from the
gamers, methinks.

Thoughts?

Adrian