[Sderby] Installing flash player 10.

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:42:32 UTC 2009

2009/6/7 claire spencer <claireflur at yahoo.com>:
> I downloaded Flash Player 10, but I don't know how to install it. Any
> ideas???

Dont use ubuntu myself so am basing commands purely on online man
pages, known cross platform bugs and experience on other distros.
If you are downloading the plugin from adobe then you need to remove
the flash 9 package if you have it installed:

apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree

Then if you downloaded the deb package you need to install using the
following (apt-get doesnt handle local package installs correctly):

dpkg -i <path_to_downloaded_package>

If you downloaded the experimental 64-bit plugin from adobe labs then
you need to manually drop libflash.so in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ .
Firefox itself also allow dropping it in ~/.mozilla/plugins/ but most
distros explicitly disallow this to avoid security issues.

If your using using 32-bit plugin on 64-bit you have to use
nsplugin-wrapper to wrap the plugin. For other configurations its
optional but does help browser stability if the plugin crashes.
Several distros provide a helper called mozilla-plugin-config which
can be run using:

mozilla-plugin-config -if

You can check everything is setup correctly by browsing to about:plugins

Hope this helps.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...