[Sderby] Contents of Sderby digest, reply to message 1

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Tue May 12 14:23:55 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 Philip Johnson <johnsonfamily38 at hotmail.com>:

> What do I use Linux for? Well, my [business] machine is a medium-spec PC
> running Ubuntu 8.04LTS. Why? Because it does all the things I need it to
> do!
> For example:
>   Office - Open Office.
>   Accounts.
>   CAD (QCAD).
>   Email. etc. etc.
>   Plus numerous Office Macros and scripts to monitor stock exchange share
> prices.
>
> The PC itself was rescued from being put in the skip mainly because it has a
> V1.0 motherboard that has NO supported Window$ drivers for it. Linux - no
> problem. On-board NIC, Video and sound work fine. Wireless card OK, appart
> from the annoying keyring password request every boot - does anyone know how
> to get rid of this?

Sounds like gnome-keyring which annoys just about everyone. I refuse
to use gnome myself so haven't had to work around it myself but i have
heard this issue any a time and a quick google for "gnome-keyring
login" brings up a few results. The answer basically revolves around
setting the gnome-keyring password to be the same as your login
password and configuring gnome-keyring to try your login password
first.

This page looks like it stands a good chance:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/12/automatically-unlocking-the-default-gnome-keyring-pam-keyring/

Hope it helps.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...