[Sderby] What do we use Linux for?

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Mon Oct 26 22:18:04 UTC 2009

OK, so the thread is ages old, but the list seems pretty dead at the
moment so I'll chuck mmy hat in the ring.

Darren Fuller wrote:
> I have a desktop which I'm using as a sort of media centre before
> rebuilding it as a file server/work horse. And then I have a laptop
> which gets used as a general work station and development machine.
>
>> On May 20, 2009 6:45 AM, "John Talbut" <jt at dpets.co.uk
>> <mailto:jt at dpets.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> What do I use Linux for?
>> I have four machines, a Hush Mini ITX, a Dell Dimension 4100 (nearly 8
>> years
>> old), an HP Compaq nx9105 laptop and an MSI Wind U90, all running Debian
>> testing.  Because they do all the things that I want.

I have a firewall/router running Smoothwall Express on a Pentium 133,
32MB RAM and 2GB HDD.

I have a Compaq Proliant DL140 1U rackmount server running Ubuntu Server
8.04 on dual Xeon 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM and dual 80GB HDD using software RAID.
 It runs HTTP, SMTP, IMAP, DNS and XMPP servers.

I have an HP Deskpro running Ubuntu Server 8.10 on a Pentium 4 2GHz,
512MB RAM and 80GB HDD.  It is used as an intranet server, running DNS,
HTTP, LDAP and Samba servers and Bacula Director which stores files to a
4GB DDS tape drive.

I have an ASUS EeePC 701 4G (which I am typing this mail on) running
Ubuntu 8.04, although it was actually bought for my wife to browse the
web, send and receive e-mails and produce invoices on.

I have an Asus EeePC 904 running Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix that I won
for participating in the Micromiser beta program.  In practice, my wife
usually uses this one instead!

Finally I have an Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi running dual-boot Ubuntu 9.04
and Ubuntu 9.10 nightly on an AMD Turion 64 2GHz, 2GB RAM and a 100GB
HDD with LVM/LUKS encrypted / and shared /home.  This is my hacking
machine, where I do freelance web site work usually on Joomla! or Plone,
some Java and Python desktop apps, and whatever bug fixing I can for
Ubuntu and, where possible, upstream to Debian and individual
applications.  I also contribute to OpenStreetmap on this machine and
probably a load of other stuff as well - sometimes my mind just wanders
off at a tangent!

Any more for any more?

JT
- --
James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |       VoIP: +44 (0)870 490 2407