[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Just to let people know

David Tillotson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 14 23:20:01 2003

Just thought I'd let people know (and hopefully get some leads :-) that
as of 4pm today, my position is "at risk", and I will have to tender for
the position on a contract basis :-(
In essence, "at risk" officially means that my employer has decided to
remove me from the payroll in 2 weeks, and put my job out to contract as
a 15hr/wk position (I was on a 39hr week.) The 2 week period is to allow
them to investigate any other positions within the company for which I
may be suitable (somewhat unlikely!)
After overcoming the initial shock, I have decided to go-it-alone, and
become a self-employed consultant, and tender for my job (the MD has
stated that I will be the preferred tender, as I know the systems
inside-out). This does have some advantages, in that I am free to work
for other companies (moonlighting is/was not permitted in my contract
without express permission) and I have already gained at least one other
contract, and I'll be doing less hours for more money (even if the third
contract fails, and I only have the 2 clients :-).
If anyone knows of any companies that may be able to make use of my
services, please let me know.

The moral of the story, I suppose, is that when you have a full-time job
as a network administrator, don't automate too much, or you'll look like
you have too much time!
--
David Tillotson

Off to write my tender, and business proposal for the bank