[StAndrews and Fife LUG] smbfs mount question

David Tillotson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 2 11:37:01 2003

In message <1041505140.22748.18.camel@host1.sharpnet.local.net>, Gilbert
Serex <lug@sharpnet.co.uk> writes
>I need advice about a strange problem I have not been able to solve.

I'll do what I can (I use Samba the other way round myself)

>here is the fstab line:
>//winmemachine/MYDOCUMENTS /mnt/mydocuments smbfs password=******** 0 0

I think that you need 'user' in the options section of the entry:
//winmemachine/MYDOCUMENTS /mnt/mydocuments smbfs password=**,user 0 0

>The password has been obfuscated (in the above line), and I turned the
>password encryption "off" in the windows Box registry. Although I am not
>clear about the link between the Samba (smb.conf) and the Linux mount
>(fstab) system, I need some explanation here too.

As I understand it, smb.conf is used only to set things like workgroups
for the Samba client, and is more concerned with exporting shares.

>I also had to assign the 0 (root) group to my username. This was
>necessary to be able to write into the share.

The fstab entry correction should fix this.

>I wish MS was a little more helpful than they seem to be when it comes
>to share their side with other, like Linux does with Windows.

In some ways, I support M$'s attitude to opening the source (I suspect
that it would teach some very poor techniques!)

--
David Tillotson