[Fife Linux Users Group] Fife Lug Meetings

Jim McLaren Jim at blackfingernail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:14:28 GMT 2005

OK, two sprogs now in bed, wife happily watching TV, and a large mug of tea
within reach......

I'll deal with the Adam Smith College first, and state that the whole thing is
in post merger shambles, and it will be at least 6 months before it emerges
from it. In addition I work for the commercial arm, which is separate from
the academic side physically, so I have no contact with academic students. My
interest in FifeLUG is twofold, firstly because I personally use Linux and as
much OSS as possible, and secondly because we are trying to promote the use
of OSS in businesses, so any source of information on OSS that could be of
use to a business thinking of making the switch is good.

Now, onto the second part of the discussion, that of where or what the group
is going to do. These are all my opinions, so please feel free to blow me
away if you wish:

Venue: It doesn't really bother me in which part of Fife the meetings are
held, or even if it changes from one meeting to another. The only thing I
need is more or better notice of when meetings will occur. Yes, I know it is
on the website, but I am afraid I do not go there that often (my own fault I
know). That's why I joined the mailing list, to be kept up to date with stuff
that is going on - then I'll go to the website for more details.

Meeting Format/Organisation: Personally speaking I much prefer a structured
type of meeting, not necessarily down to the level of an agenda and minutes,
but certainly some idea of what it is going to be about. I do not count
myself as a geek (not enough grey matter I'm afraid), and although I like
beer and durritos, I would not be a member for long if that is all that there
was :-)) I would suggest that there needs to be two types of meeting. The
first is informal, in a pub, someone's house or wherever. The second type
should be more organised in an appropriate venue where there is a topic or
topics to be discussed on the night. There is no reason why an informal
evening could not then follow on from it.
It would also be good to have someone to contact with suggestions for
meetings, comments and stuff that you might not necessarily want to post to
the mailing list.

Group Structure: I've been a member for quite a few months now, and I still
don't really know who runs it. Mostly my fault again for not getting to
meetings, but it would be better (IMO) to have on the website a contacts
section that stated who was meetings organiser, who was president (if there
is one) and so on. Two immediate benefits spring to mind. The first is that
if a lurker goes to the website they can see who to get in touch with if they
need more information, and secondly it looks a bit more organised which may
encourage people to come along.

OK, that's enough for now.
--
Jim