[Fife Linux Users Group] Marketing of Group & Membership Growth

David Tillotson pinky at acmelabs.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 16:35:49 GMT 2005

> Hi All,
>
> May I suggest we have a discussion of marketing and membership growth at a
> future FLUG meeting. I won't make this week's meeting but hope to do next
> months, so hopefully we can discuss next month.

Sounds like an extremely good idea! I have been introducing a few
businesses to Linux of late, and have found the old "there's no-one else
using it" phrase still keeps coming up. (My old employer being a prime
example - the out-sourced support company declared my hand-crafted
Sendmail server as "insecure and unmanagable" and insisted on junking it
[along with the Netware servers] in favour of a trio of W2K3 servers. When
I asked what the issues were with the mail server, I was told that it was
because management of it was CLI only [despite Webmin/Usermin being
there], and that it was insecure due to the poor passwords that were in
use! *boggle*)