[Fife Linux Users Group] Ubuntu Install

David Tillotson pinky at acmelabs.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 23:20:13 BST 2006

> What file systems should be selected?

Asking what FS to use can be like asking which distro :-P
Personally, I use ext3, as it provides a journalled system, but it can be
mounted by any recover disk as ext2(I still keep tomsrtbt handy!)

>From the home server:
Partition   Mount       Disk Space     File System Type
hda1        /boot       50M            ext2
hda5        /           2G             ext3
hda6        /var        1G             ext3
hda7        /home       12G            ext3
hda2        N/A         1G             swap

> At some point I'll do "yet another install guide" for Unbuntu based on
> your input so far and in the remainder of this thread!
>
> When we were attempting to get my laptop dual booting Win XP Pro and
> Ubunutu
> we created three separate partition. One was to house the boot loader and
> was less than 50Mb. What is the partition name and type for this? We also
> created another two partition of size 200Mb and 20Gb. What were these
> called and their file types?

IIRC the 50M partition would have been /boot, the 20G / (looks odd when
written like that :), but I'm not sure about the 200M (unless that was
swap!)