[Fife Linux Users Group] KVM Switches?

James Eaton-Lee james.mailing at gmail.com
Mon May 1 01:29:40 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 21:45 +0100, John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions
Limited wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Like Jim, I did some research on the Ubuntu forums and it seems to be
> a known issue with some KVM switches and the 2,6 kernel. Tried the
> various file fixes highlighted in those threads but none of them cured
> the problem. One did make it slightly less erratic but still totally
> unusable.
>
> <rant>
> I've now replaced the Belkin Omniview SE 4 port with a cheapo NewLink
> 4 port KVM switch and it works a treat.  Even better that I can now
> dump the power supply feeding the KVM. The NewLink KVM works quite
> happily from the computers as long as one is a non-laptop. Superb! :-)
>
> I've lost count of the number of times Belkin hardware has fecked me
> over! Belkin stuff sucks so much! Yes, there may well be a problem
> with the 2.6 kernel but plenty of other devices all seem to work,
> including my cheapo one! That piece of Belkin crap is going into the
> storage pile! Maybe one day I'll need it again but not now, not
> ever!!!! Ggggrrrrr!

We have two Belkin KVMs (a 32-port and a 16-port) sitting in a heap
under a desk at work, both of which are complete and total crap -
they've been replaced with an adderview kvm, which appears to work quite
nicely.

On a tangential note related to adderview KVMs, I recently discovered
that adderview sell a "kvm" which allows you to connect via VNC - it
sits inline between a kvm and the console, plugs into your network, and
accepts up to four VNC connections, according to the website, and for a
fairly-decent £600 or so. Very cool.

http://www.realvnc.com/products/KVM-over-IP/

 - James.

--
  James (njan) Eaton-Lee | 10807960 | http://www.jeremiad.org
  Semper Monemus Sed Non Audiunt, Ergo Lartus - (Jean-Croix)

sites: https://www.bsrf.org.uk ~ http://www.security-forums.com
   ca: https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3