[Fife Linux Users Group] KVM Switches?

Werner M. Mayer wmm at gmx.li
Mon May 1 02:03:37 BST 2006

Hi John and all,

> John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions Limited wrote:
>
> Anyone running with a KVM switch or got recommendations for a
> particular one?

I've been lurking quite a while on several LUG's...

I use a KVM-Switch to switch between 4 computers successfully. The
only
problem I have with it is the fixed mouse emulation is has built in.

On linux systems I've managed to get the connected
2-wheel-3-button-mouse
working only difficulty for all 4 linux systems. I'm running a SuSE
7.2
X with Fvwm2 and all other systems run either Win98 and/or
Gentoo-Linux.

My KVM-switch is a MasterView Plus electronic switch with one power
and four separate CPU  buttons. There are red leds showing the
connected
and running PC's and a green led lighting underneath showing the
active
chosen PC.

I chose an electronic switch due to the annoying mis-benefits of the
cheap mechanical ones not correctly switching all contacts (mouse
and
keyboard and vga) after some time passing by doing heavy switching.

Hope I could be of help.

Bye, Werner.