[StALUG] new to linux and out of my depth!

garryg gargul1969 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 10:17:55 UTC 2010

Hey all,

forgive my ignorance but just getting back into computers after a
loooong absence and have only been using linux (ubuntu karmic) for 2
months now so 'out of my depth' doesn't do justice to my lack of
knowledge/awareness re how things have advanced since i last used a pc
(win95 at university in '99).

i live in st.andrews myself so if there's anyone in st.andrews (area)
who'd be interested/willing to be a mentor (i'm not talking about
bombarding anyone with 20 emails a day here) or even just to meet up
for a coffee i'd appreciate it big time. i am making the effort myself
- starting the open university's short introduction to linux course in
october and i've got one of the gnu/debian manuals ordered through the
free software foundation on the way so i'll get there eventually. in
the mean time though it would be good to meet up with someone with a
bit of experience cos as far as i'm concerned there's nowt can beat a
bit of face to face interaction!

thanks in advance and i will get through the stanlug mail archives in
the meantime.

garry g (gargul1969 at gmail.com)

oh, don't like going through gmail to do this but sussing out mutt is
just another item on a long list of 'where the hell do i start and how
the hell do i configure packages properly'!!