[StALUG] making sense of Tiger security warnings

garryg gargul1969 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 21:37:41 UTC 2010

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone can offer me an explanation re why i'm getting the
following warning when running the Tiger system audit? The specific
issue i have is that although the os i'm using is Ubuntu's Karmic 9.10
(installed using the alternate install cd), tiger reports the
following:

# Checking OS release...
--WARN-- [osv004w] Unreleased Debian GNU/Linux version `squeeze/sid'

The machine is running an unreleased version of Debian GNU/Linux.
This version is not supported by the security team so it might not
be up-to-date security wise (support is only provided for the latest
release). That is, "run at your own risk".

I've loads of other warnings and alerts that may or may not suggest my
system has been compromised (can't make sense of false positives etc
as of yet) but this one in particular has me stumped. Any suggestions
at all?

Thanks in advance.

Garry.