[StALUG] Free stuff near Dunfermline

Mr Victor victor42 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 16:50:00 UTC 2012

All,

 (apologies for the cross-post spam, but it seems likely to interest people on both sides of the water!)

 I'm clearing out and I have a range of stuff that I no longer want which is free to anyone who can pick it up from near Dunfermline.

 Most of this should be in working order, but it hasn't generally been powered on in some time, so no guarantees. I don't know any of the switch passwords OTOH, although the 3com ones are all very easy to hard reset via a little minicom-fu. Anything left untaken after a couple of days is likely to wind up being relegated to Freecycle!

 1x 8U 3Com Corebuilder with a bunch of ATM cards in it (this is BIG and heavy.)
 1x 1U 24 port patch panel (this has two centronix interfaces on the back and goes with the corebuilder, but I'm not certain where the cabling is to hook it up, so it may be more useful as a patch panel to someone who wants to wire it up than bundled if I can't find the cabling)
 1x 1U 3Com Superstack II 10/100 Switch (12 ports with ATM interface))
 1x 2U 3Com Superstack II 10/100 Switch (24 ports)
 2x Cisco 2600-series Token Ring Routers (possibly useful for someone doing CCNA-type certs or learning IOS? I could possibly chuck in a cisco serial cable if you desparately need one and don't have one already)
 1x 2U 8 port Belkin PS/2 KVM
 1x 4 port desktop Belkin PS/2 KVM
 1x Mobility EasyDock USB 200 USB port replicator with usb hub, PS/2, Serial, parallel - quite neat for laptops with none of these. I should have the power supply for this somewhere. I think this works in linux, but no guarantees as it's been a while since I used it.
 2x PS/2 Keyboards (one sightly yellowed but decent Dell, one fairly pristine black & silver unit with volume controls etc)
 1x DIN keyboard
 1x infra-red "Microsoft Remote Keyboard for Windows XP Media Center Edition", unused.
 1x 52x IDE CD-ROM Drive
 1x Dell Optiplex GX150 - currently RAM and floppy/hdd/cdrom-less. I should be able to provide some RAM for this as I have stacks in a drawer, but I may not have an HDD that can go, although I should have the rails required to fit one. OTOH this is a Celeron 800MHz. This has a riser for two PCI slots which can accomodate two dual-NIC network cards in addition to the one onboard, so doesn't make a bad little firewall; if you want it for this purpose I may be able to fish out a single/dual port NIC for you if you ask nicely.

 The following is probably not working although may not be total junk:
 1x 1U Bricked 3Com Superstack III 3300XM Managed switch (24 ports) - this inexplicably died in an all-lights-flashing failure mode and I haven't used it since. May be useful for parts, or repairable via reflashing or otherwise.

 Any takers let me know offlist; given multiple askers, I shall pick the one sounding most deserving! :)

 Questions welcome if you want more information about a particular item, although due to time constraints, I'm reluctant to do a lot of pluggery pokery to see if stuff works or how it responds. :)

 cheers!