[Sussex] MTAs (was: Testing testing 1..2..3..)

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Fri Aug 23 10:18:01 UTC 2002

On 23/8/02 9:36 am, "Geoff Teale" <Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk> wrote:

> T'was written by steved:
> ========================
>> Don't bother buying the book.  I know that the sendmail.cf
>> file format will
>> be changing with the next release.  Therefore any book you
>> buy is going to
>> date very, very quickly.
>
> Yes, I've heard you mention that before.
>
>> If you have a exim "port" you can compile I can send you
>> (when I get home)
>> a exim.conf file that, with some intelligence you can change for your
>> settings.
>
> Yup, we have exim in the portage tree.  That's a very generous offer.  The
> real advantage to me is that I can run mutt or pine or such like.  It's one
> thing that I think is missing from Gentoo that Debian has - the
> configuration helpers you get.  Gentoo takes the approach that you _need_ to
> know how set everything up yourself.  Maybe it's time I learned!
>

> - Geoff
>

> The above information is confidential to the addressee and may be privileged.
> Unauthorised access and use is prohibited.
>
> Internet communications are not secure and therefore this Company does not
> accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
> or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited
> and may be unlawful.
>
> Claybrook Computing Limited is a subsidiary of Claybrook Computing (Holdings)
> Limited
> Registered Office: Abbey House. 282 Farnborough Road, Farnborough, Hampshire
> GU14 7NJ
> Registered in England and Wales No 1287205
>
> A Hogg Robinson plc company

I would strongly recommend either Postfix or Exim as the MTAs to go with. Of
the two I prefer Postfix sue to it's modular design and the attention to
security that the developer has played.

If you need a working Postfic config to crib, let me know, though an out fo
the box install should work if your hostname is sensibly set.

For reading material, there is quite a good book by SAMS.

For exim, the de-facto book is the O'Reilly book written by the author,
though it is basically a regurgitation of the docs available online.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford
neil[at]smudgypixels[dot]net