[Sussex] INSIDE: A daemons story

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Aug 23 13:58:01 UTC 2002

Geoff

Yes.

> I have no objection to moving forward in a way that keeps things simple
for
> the developers.  As long as the system is architecturally elegant, the
> source code is not unreadable and the server performance doesn't live up
> the "Brian the Snail" name.
>
> KISS is afteralla solid principle.

I like Keeping It Simple, too Stupid :-)

> The only thought I have is that the Apache project have moved towards a
> multi-threaded design rather than a multi-process design in Apache 2.0
> (although it is configurable).

I'm not saying we wouldn't move to a multi-thread approach in later
versions,
but for the first release...

>                                 The aim being to improve performance (this
> improvement is most visible on Windows).

Do I care, I think not.  Windows users can pay for the privilege of using
IIS, they like that whole think that software should cost money or it's
worthless idea.

>                                          I believe the trade off though is
> not massively significant in our case.  After all Apache did very well for
> several years prior to the new release!

That was my thinking - but better put.

Steve

P.S.
Brian was not the slowest character in MR - Dylan was.  Should we
rename?????