[Sussex] raid memory

AG antiguru at fade.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 17:36:00 UTC 2002

At 14:49 23/08/02 +0100, David Chapman wrote:
>Does anybody have some old 72 pin simms laying around.
>I need 1 40 bit simm for a Mylex raid card.
>It needs to 40 not 72 bit the way to tell is if it's marked it will say
somthing >like 4M x 40 or 2M x 40 not 4M x 72 or 2M x 72
>This type of memory seems to be quite rare so I don't hold much hope.
Trouble is >the card won't work with out it.

I know the problem- I have a Mylex DAC960 here.

I've got a huge bag of 72 pin SIMMS kicking about, some which will work (I
recall checking quite a lot of them with my DAC960).

I take it you already know that DAC960's won't work with Linux unless
you've upgraded the firmware to 3.51, which needs another EEPROM (and if
you have one of the batch of DAC960's that had no upgrade slot you're
stuffed- back to NT or FreeBSD). If you're lucky you have 3.51, less lucky
you'll need to find an EEPROM burner...as well as memory.

Which reminds me- can one/some of the serious propellorheads tell me why
(briefly, please) BSD has drivers for non-3.51 firmware versions, NT does
and some other Unices do and yet Linux doesn't??? It's not an uncommon
card, after all...

Niall