[Sussex] Evesham

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 10:02:01 UTC 2002

> BTW Evesham are now shipping cheapo boxes for 250 - 400 quid
> with linux
> pre-installed.

Yup.. I posted this news to the LUG last month.

>They are using the new Lindows OS. They are definitely
> marketing it as a viable alternative to WinDoze.  Its nice to
> see the box
> shifters are beginning to see the advantage gained by Linux.  However,
> looking at their website http://www.evesham.com they dont
> seem to be overtly
> offering linux on all their PC's which means the penny still
> hasn't dropped.
> If they were serious about it they would offer either XP or
> LINDOWS across
> the board.  Its possible they are just testing the water at
> the moment to
> see what reaction they get.

It's a case of them seeing a market for cheap, business quality machines
running LINUX - they're building those machines because their customers are
asking for them.  The higher-price, higher-power machines mostly ship to
home users.  Unfortunately home users are an uneducated market who fear
anything they haven't seen before.  THey will demand windows XP and will
react badly to being offered choice.

As far as the home market is concerned - it will come once the business
desktop comes around to the idea of LINUX - the whole reason people use
Windows at home is because they used it at work - prior to the boom in
Windows machines in the workplace (in the age of a relitively few Dos based
machines and lots of UNIX machines with dumb terminals) the most common home
machines were Amiga's, ST's and Mac's.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company