[Sussex] Agree

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Wed Dec 4 17:33:01 UTC 2002

Domonic wrote:
--------------
<major snippage>
> It doesn't feel smooth on the desktop no matter what hardware you thow
> at it It doesn't do anything you want with a point of a mouse.
> It doesn't make my mum think she can rule the world from her laptop.
>
> It doesn't matter about Patents and courtroom debates, it just
> doesn't...
>
> (IMHO)  :)

The main gist of what you are saying I agree with - in most cases
desktop LINUX has a way to go.  It's certainly usable in it's present
form (and a lot better than it was a year, or 2 years ago) but it isn't
yet threatening OS X in the integrated UI sense.

Ultimately the things you talk about will be resolved one way or
another.  Most of the problem in terms of consistency of feel in GUI
environments is a result of the range in applications, libraries and
toolkits available.  If you write a windows GUI app, ultimately there is
only one way of doing the job, either directly or indirectly you have to
use the MFC.