[Sussex] CORBA - Success!

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Dec 6 02:05:01 UTC 2002

[Eraly] Morning Geoff

On 5 Dec 2002 @ 18:02 The ol' tealeg wrote:
> Evening,
Evening!  Evening!  I was just going off to bed for a 01:00 (Yes 1 AM)
start of work day :-)

> I have now had some encouraging success with CORBA (its easy when you
> know how).

Like life it self

> I now have two different ORBs, running on two different machines running
> a very basic Chat interface.  Each machine has a chat server (written in
> C++) running to recieve messages and dump them to the tty.  To send
> messages Monster is running a small program written in Ruby and the
> desktop Gentoo box is running a similar program written in Python.

But it proves that CORBA works

> The coolest upshot of this so far is that I can send the output of
> aafire or bb through my messaging app to the other machines terminal -
> this not exactly earth shattering, but it amused me ;)

Koooool - Can we have a demo next meet.  I'll load my lap top with
whats needed and will run this over WiFi

> BTW, Monster is now also completely covered in Duck tape.. dunno why, it
> just gives it a very strange look - certainly not like any Vaio I've
> seen before ;)

As a Vaio own and don't like this.  It makes me think the Vaio's are not
as robust as other laptops (Dell) that I've used.