[Sussex] Taking the battle to the big boys

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Dec 6 14:07:02 UTC 2002

Dave wrote:
-----------
> I,ve been telling people that for a long time.
> Big bloaty software is driving the (desktop ) market for faster cpu's
> and encouraging buyers to spend spend spend on more more more
> hardware.
> I've got a 450 P2 which I find plenty fast enough for what I want
> OK so it,s a quad Xeon but that does not make it faster.

Indeed.  Any form of parallel processing is only of use if the software
takes advantage of it.  The LINUX kernel is OK at SMP, but it's not going to
give you massive performance gains in the day-to-day office functions.

I'm waiting to see a sub £100 PC on the market.  That'll draw in people who
wouldn't have bought one otherwise.  If you could hook the thing up to your
TV you'd recapture a market (people like my parents) who would probably use
a computer if they had one - they happily used Spectrums and Amiga's for
years, but a PC with it's attendant monitor and printer, etc, is just a lot
of space an money for something they'll use a couple of times a week at
most.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company