[Sussex] A Little Fun over Christmas

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Fri Dec 27 08:40:00 UTC 2002

well I was bored on Boxing day and although it was not a present I still played with it for a while and this is now what I have.

http://ashaman.plus.com:8020

So what have I done ?

I compiled 2.4.20 on sickpuppy and grabbed that old and crappy WebCam which I always assumed was unsupported, well on aking it aprt I discovered the chipset said OV511 ( supported ! ). So now I could compile Video4Linux support and a bunch of module support various USB WebCams. Note that I compiled USB and Cam support and Video4Linux support all as modules. I was finding that my kernel was hanging otherwise.

With the Cam Modules loaded I apt-get installed camserv and pointed my camera out my window. From here it was a case of creating index.html and for it to contain http://ashaman.plus.com:9192  . I munged my hosts file so that apache thinks ashaman.plus.com is on the internal network.

Now I had a live webcam broadcast but no external connectivity.

I use a Alcatel Speedtouch Home, hacked by Matt into a Pro. Currently I have it configured for DHCP Spoofing but I now have NAT Forwarding (ala Telnet ) so that the ports 8020 and 9192 are forwarded to 80 and 9192 respectively. Having mucked around in the router configuration I note that the DHCP Server included in Alcatel allows me to define mac addresses against IP so now my macines are assigned the same IP addresses every time (phew!) . So A quick reboot and test and through the magic if Mozilla I can see my  front drive !

Heres the Rub, to view the same image in Internet Explorer you have to use

http://ashaman.plus.com:8020/singleframe and keep refreshing....

Sad that ....

So where am I going with this ?

Well I have been using Gspy to monitor activity infront of my house ( cause theres movemmnet out there!) Id like to connect more cameras and in turn feed CamServs image to Gspy and the Web, in such a way as to let me connect Video4Lan Cameras to a system which monitors and records images raising alarms when Camera Images change. Its all a bit of fun with Free Software and Cheap Cameras.

Nik