[Sussex] Linux Newbie on the street

Angelo Servini angelo at servini.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 11:18:01 UTC 2002

Hi

My name's Angelo, I've been a programmer for >20 years but alas I find
myself in the unenviable position of "I am a LINUX newbie".  So far, I
get the feel that its a great system and has lots of potential and
power.  Its just so frustrating knowing what you want is achievable, and
yet not knowing how!

I'm running Red Hat 8.0 + Gnome as a multi boot (at least until I am
more familiar with it and get all I want from a system from Linux)  I
wonder, Can you help me with a few questions.

1/  I need to get acess to the other partitions so I can transfer data
back and forth.  I know how to mount a partition - create the directory
in root etc. etc.  but I dont know how to release priveleges so that
mount can do its work.  I know my root password etc.  I would also like
to get the system to mount the partition at startup.  So I suppose that
means editing a particular file?

2/  Is it possible to get Mozilla to connect to the internet (I have a
modem 56k connection) as soon as I click on its icon?  At the moment I
have to first activate the modem connection then click on the Icon.

3/  Also, Evolution's fonts are really tiny (even with a 17" monitor) is
there some default I can set somewhere?  Or do I move over to another
Email Client which will do what I want.

Thanks People, I look forward to your reply/s

Angelo.

PS.  do you know of any online training material / ebooks / CBT's on the
subject of linux?  I would appreciate any linx you may send my way.