[Sussex] Mozilla and Natwest...

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Tue Nov 26 16:55:00 UTC 2002

Dominic

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:37:43 -0000
Dominic Clay <dominic.clay at europrospectus.com> wrote:

> This happened when I tried to use NatWest Online banking with a
> Mozilla 1.2 Browser... This is crazy.  Mozilla is a far better browser
> than Netscape(IMHO)  :{

This happens because Natwest have a special relationship with Microsoft
- you'll note they only mention very old versions of Netscape (7.x is
current!).  My old firm signed exactly the same deal with MS concerning
our web sites and gave the exact same public excuse about not being able
to ensure security with Mozilla based browsers.  Any fool can find out
that Mozilla is more secure that older versions of Netscape and any
current versions of IE!

Your best bet is to try konqueror or Opera - these browsers can pretend
to be other browsers (including the ones listed) by selecting a simple
menu option.  Of course the other option is not to give your trade to
banks who behave in such an arrogant way - they genuinely believe their
relationship with MSFT is more valuable than their high street
customers.

I know for a fact that Lloyds-TSB's web site works with Mozilla without
fault.  However, my ultimate recommendation would be the Halifax - a
well respected (he writes for the FT) personal finance expert at Thomson
Financial advised me to go there as they were the only bank who didn't
have a customer service flag on private accounts.  This is rooted in
Halifax's history - they were a building society and in a lot of ways
they still behave one.  The big high street banks generally view
personal and small business accounts as a way of generating cash to put
into large investments in the city - in most cases a quick flick through
the annual report of a bank will furnish you with the policy towards
high street trade.  Banks have legislation on their side - we have to
put our money in the bank or we will get done for tax evasion. Being
aware of this banks generally try to squeeze as much cash out of us for
the minimum cost on their part.

Incase you are unaware of the concept a customer service flag is an
indicator (based on wealth) as to whether it is profitable to spend time
on your account.  If you don't have a flag then you will be got off the
line, away from the counter and out of the banks hair as quickly as
possible.  At Barclays (because it's the only one I know the figure for)
this flag is set at £105,000.00.  So if your total accounts with your
bank are less than that prepare to be ignored....

Life.. ain't it wonderful...

--
GJT
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net