[Sussex] using apt in Xandros

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 27 19:10:00 UTC 2002

Steve wrote:
------------
> However I don't belive that the libdvdcss package is on any of the
> Debian servers as it is NOT legally for DMCC reasons.  I would recommend
> that you try the web.

Correction.

IANAL(BMWI)

libdvdcss is not legal in the USA because the DMCA protects the license terms of the MPIAA in the USA.  In europe EU law overrides the license and you are perfectly within your rights to use libdvdcss.

You can find it as a deb package on the ogle website (Angelo and I found this linked from freshmeat) of Eric S Raymond (bravely) keeps this on his http://www.tuxedo.org site, along with the jargon file (highly recommended).

On a side note:

Many of you are aware that I used to be a professional musician, and this comment is affected by me drinking some rather good 25 year old Talisker single malt... but I have just bought Bob Dylan's bootleg series no.5 from the the rolling thunder review tour of 1975 and I'm listenijng (and jamming along to) "Hurricane" and all I can say is that I wish I was born 20 years earlier.

That said, on top of the pops 2 tonight, Craig David (who's music I usually hate, I add) did a cover of "Come Together" with a rather good "rap", or "talking blues" as I more historically prefer to describe it (mainly because it annoys t'ut yougen's who've not heard of Woodie Guthrie) section in the middle.

Any how, if I'd been "of age" in the decade I was born I would have been a happy man... the music was better, UNIX was the hot new thing and there was plenty of OS level coding still left out there for a man of moderate intelligence.  Of course if it was the 1970's I probably would have stuck it out as a session guitarist.. in the 1990's the Asda and Strongbow adverts were low enough for me to rethink my lice.. err typo.. I mean life..

Yours..

an extremely drunk Geoff - I know it's only 7pm.. but that bottle was calling - it's been two months since my last drink.. and 25 year old talsiker at a mere 67% is too good to resist..

"One more cup of coffee, 'for I go
To the valley below"
	- Bob Dylan

"Sarah oh Sarah,
What ever made you want to change your mind,
Sarah oh Sarah,
So easy to look at, so hard to define"
	- Bob Dylan

--