[Sussex] Anyone actually met any Gods ?

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Oct 7 16:28:00 UTC 2002

Geoff

On 07 October 2002 at 15:55 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> ============
> > (-: Aren't you a VB programmer at the moment :-)
>
> ;-) well observed...
>
> but..
>
> 1/ Not by choice

I know (but some digs can't be missed :-)

> 2/ Not exclusively.

For which you must be grateful.

> 3/ I learnt to program and then learnt VB on the job (most
> VB's programmers only ever go down the second road).

You mean pure VB programmers learn to program - are you sure?????

> 4/ I recognise that, whilst not _having_ to know what's going
> on close to the bare metal is often a boon to speedy development,
> not being able to find that out (never mind control it) is often
> an extremely bad thing.

A good point that turns a programmer into a powerful programmer.
And is the reason I have been so vocal on how the INSIDE server
is to run and be configured.

> 5/ I never met a VB program that wouldn't have been implemneted
> more cleanly and quickly in Java (Java is the state all non-systems
> development 3GL's aspire to IMHO).

Even the one who don't know about Java!

> > Sounds like the IT manager at my company.  But his reason for
> > liking M$ is that "With the number of f**k ups they make I'll
> > be in a job for life".
>
> I've heard a lot of variations on that theme... it's also
> equally true of UNIX.. if we make things obscure enough they'll
> need us all to understand it.  I think a lot of the IT industry
> survives on that fact that people are too scared to find out
> that a lot of this stuff is easy.

And I though that this was just them needed a window with a
message saying: "I am now, weather you like it or not, ...."

> > So get some big blue iron.
>
> He he...
>
> At Thomson (the company in question) we had some ancient
> Honeywell big iron that the management wanted to replace with
> NT servers... I don't think even I could have got an S/390
> through the budget (unless it ran NT)..

I worked for a company that wanted to replace it's Unix systems
with NT - I left - So did you.  SNAP!!!!!

> > The Dilbert Principle at work again.....
>
> As ever..

and ever, and ever, and....