[Sussex] Linux Firewall on a 50mg CD

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Tue Oct 8 00:48:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Mark Olliver wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am looking at making a firewall / router and putting it onto a 50mg
> credit card cd. I am also looking at keeping the config files on floppy so
> that they can be changed if required.
>
> Does any one know any good  (easy) small starting distro which I can use.
>
> I want to use the following features,
> At least a 2.4 kernel,
> iproute2 (for routing)
> cipe (for secure tunnels)
> qos (for bandwith restrictions)
> sshd (for access)
>
> I also want to include as many network cards / modems / adsl & wireless
> devices as possible.

I'm sure that a certain fork of a popular software linux firewall would
provide a good starting point. It's designed with security in mind, and
is already a cutdown linux distro. Shouldn't be too hard to bolt on the
addons you require.
Due to contractual obligations with my current employer, I cannot
promote this firewall so I shall have to leave the guessing of the name to
you. However, it could be said that they are the INTERNET PROTOCOL POLICE.

*ahem* - someone care to fill in the blanks? ;)

Jon

P.S I know I could probably mention the name, but I'm being paranoid... :)
Last thing I want is my boss after me... ;)