[Sussex] Linux Firewall on a 50mg CD

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 10:19:01 UTC 2002

> Just looked at your suggestion Geoff, but GNATbox, looks to be all
> comercial.
> I'm looking more at the gpl market.

Sure.. really I was just using it as an example of one way of doing things.

> I have considered Gentoo, but have never tried it and havent
> got a disk
> for it at the moment.

Again, it's an example.  I wouldn't recommend the normal Gentoo setup for
your needs - it's unlikely that you're going to want to compile all the code
from scratch every time you build a firewall!

The boot CD's though are interesting..

>I am going try today and see how small
> I can make
> a redhat install once i get rid of all the docs and extra's
> they through
> on even if you specify you dont want them. Hopefully this
> should bring
> it down to around the 100mg mark.

Wow.. there's a task!  You may need to be a little careful using Red Hat as
a basis these days - I know they're not very happy about SUN LINUX 5.0.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company