[Sussex] AppleScript and Red Hat 8.0

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 14:25:01 UTC 2002

Afternoon

> Hi Geoff

Hi Tony

> At last fully understood - you are talking about QNX and I
> was talking about MacOS! QNX is an RTOS isn't it? So
> low-latency response would be essential, presumably (hasten
> to add never even seen QNX let alone used it).

Well actually realt-time only implies that the OS can be deterministic, but
in reality a high latency RTOS is about as useful as a chocolate teapot
(anyone seen XP Embedded?  It smells distinctly chocolately to me, with a
slight undertone of tea).

Anyhow, I was using QNX as an example.  The interrupt is still handled in
the OS X Kernel- it's just that you maybe don't have the opportunity to
handle the interrupt directly.  From what you are saying the Mach kernel at
the heart of OS X does the equivalent of a InterruptAttachEvent() when the
CPU blocks on an Interrupt in order that a consistent response time can be
maintained across the system.  The point I was trying to get across is that
the running process still get blocked when a hardware interrupt occurs -
this is true no matter what the OS. QNX, LINUX or OS X can all run happily
on an Apple, all of them have to handle the same hardware

> Only proble with RH8 is that it is a bigger memory hog than
> Windows so may need to upgrade before I can install :-(
> (using a 3 month okd machine with 64 MB RAM that came
> pre-loaded with Linux as test-bed).

Yup.. thems the breaks.  If you want all singing, all dancing, then you have
to accept higher system requirements.  The joy of LINUX is it can slot into
so many different roles - from miniscule embedded systems through to massive
Beowulf clusters.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company