[Sussex] We can screen it! - portable projector

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Apr 4 14:03:01 UTC 2003

Matt

On 04 April 2003 at 13:27 Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew J wrote:
> >> Your welcome to come round and try it on your laptop if you'd
> >> like.  I will try in on MPlayer on my Beast - though this may
> >> not be a fair representation (brute force ;) ).
> >
> >I've not seen any problems with mplayer on my 1.2 GHz lappy.  It
> >has reported that the machine wasn't powerfull enough a couple of
> >times but it worked fine.  Even when I was compiling in the back-
> >ground.  Okay - I've nothing like the power of Beast but then
> >mine.
>
> Mplayer will work on my machine, 833MHz intel P3, 128Mb Ram,
> Gladiator and The MAtrix work a treat! ;o)

If it can cope then you don't need that much CPU power to decode
the data streams coming off the media.  In fact for most home users
the CPUs around now are more than up to the average work load that
Mr., Mrs, and John Q. Public would place on them.

The need for grunt is over for most people.  It is only sick people
like Geoff that need multi CPU systems.

My reason for wanting to try it out was to absolutely sure that my
set up would support it.  That there are no surprises.  Going to a
meeting with a brilliant OHP presentation is all very well if that
site has an Over-Head Projector.

It saves a lot of embarrassment if we check _first_ that everything
works.  I speak from many, many demos of new code in front of clients.
Those that have done it know why I don't trust one little bit the
statement "It should work".  I'll accept nothing less than "It
does work."