[Sussex] [OT] Snow

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 9 16:56:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 17:11, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> When did that happen? I'm back in Crawley and I didn't see any snow!
> Altho I've had the curtains closed all day and I've been talking online
> (msn4lin is wonderful, Microsoft think I like them!) and I've been
> watchin the news...

It was around lunch time, for about 2 minutes.. plus I'm in East Grinstead.
The altitude makes difference ;)

> I have decided that TightVNC rocks.  Over the last three days using a
> combination of SSH, TightVNC and a wireless LAN, I have installed Gentoo
> on my *nix box from a different partt of the house! :)

Nice.

As Sarah is working from home today she has her work laptop.  It really creaks
under WindowsXP -  click on start, wait 10 seconds, menu appears... , still
it's only a PIII 800 with 256MB of RAM, it's not really fair to expect that
to run a GUI is it..

.. meanwhile, I'm working on Sarah's OS X 10.2 iMac (because she's got her
laptop hooked up to my lovely 18.1" TFT screen) running against the Beast via
a remote X Session (the new apple X11 is much better than XDarwin IMHO), so
this little G3-600 iMac, also with 256MB is simulationously running two GUI
layers (one of which is being hosted on a remote machine across a 10-Mbit
network) and it is still kicking the Windows machines butt for speed of
response, ease of use and prettiness!

--
GJT
Free Software Foundation